8.04.2008

Gospel Centrality

I'm convinced that the core of Christianity, indeed the core of reality, is the gospel.
How? The gospel is so much more than "if I believe in Jesus, I get to go to heaven."
The gospel is literally good news and that phrase is a summary of four overlapping mega-thoughts in the Bible.

1. God accomplishing his plan to redeem the world
2. Jesus exchanging his life/death/resurrection for his people
3. Union with Jesus and all of the benefits of that union
4. New life/ new creation in Jesus

Those are all huge concepts, gigantic truths that touch on powerful actions of God. 1 Peter says that even eternal creatures cannot tire of looking at this.

So why do we get tired of it? Why do we as humans, even the people who benefit from this, forget the gospel? Our nature seems semi-allergic to the gospel. We get some deep appreciation for it and then we throw it off, only to need it given to us all over again.

DISCUSS: What's your take? Why is this good news so easy to forget??

1 comment:

Traveler said...

Drew,
I really think this is an important vs urgent problem. Everything in our lives clamors for our attention except for God. His is the still quiet voice...easy to ignore. I think it's why the Bible gives prayer and Bible reading such a high priority. In these activities we keep the Gospel and God central to our attention. What has amazed me is how little time is required to change my life as long as it is intentional, daily and focused on the character of God, not on me. I experience less awareness of God if my prayer life is all thanksgiving, supplication and confession as necessary as those are. Change in my life has only come when I spent most of my prayer time in adoration. Everything else seems to fall in place then.
Dana